Food intolerances other than gluten? - Exercise for a Healthy and Active Lifestyle - Thyroid Boards

Photo
- - - - -

Food intolerances other than gluten?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AddyNat

AddyNat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hello, all! Just wondering if anyone has had food intolerances that coincided with the onset of their thyroid symptoms.
After my second daughter was born, I was hit with rashes (especially on my legs), stomach pains, digestive issues, heart palpitations, breathing issues and occasionally strange feelings on my lips and tongue. Because my older daughter has several food allergies, I thought that I may have developed some. However, I didn't test positive to anything at the allergist. I tracked my food intake and found that soy, peanuts, all other legumes, and shellfish made my symptoms worse almost immediately. I also went gluten free (many bread products also contain soy). Within 3 weeks, the worst of my problems had subsided. If I accidentally consume soy now, I don't get very sick, but I do immediately get a small rash and/or stomach pains.
Do you think that soy and iodine (like in shellfish) in foods can magnify or trigger thyroid symptoms?
Has anyone had a similar experience?
Thanks!
If you're going through hell, keep going.
-- Winston Churchill

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 10:38 AM

#2 sweetheart5703

sweetheart5703

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

Yes for thyroid disorders most doctors recommend going Gluten and even Casein free. Hashimotos patients should stay away from Iodine.

Selenium is good as well as A and B vitamins. I work for doctors in this field and see an Endo. My Endo didn't recommend supplements but the doctor I work for I told him my situation and he did. I wanted to try a multi-vitamin but most have Iodine in the multi. He said however it's OK to take it if it's within the vitamin otherwise avoid it at all costs. I don't want to take 20 different supplements so I am just going to try the multi and see how that works. I am going to use the one below.

http://www.amazon.co...ular alpha base

#3 spotted

spotted

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:10 PM

Idk if this is related, but I seem to be pretty sensitive to lots of foods. I am lactose intolerant. I tried soy for awhile and always got a stomach ache, but since I have stomach problems I didn't make the connection quickly. Once I ate a lot of soy dogs and got really ill. That's when I realized, hey, I'm allergic to soy! Any time I have coconut my throat hurts and I get a mild stomach ache. The first time I had duck eggs I had a stomach ache for a week, the second time I was vomiting violently and felt like passing out. I've had bad reactions to tomatoes before but not all the time (I'm a pizza lover and I just take lactaid.) Lately I've noticed that, when I eat pizza, my stomach is acting up as if I haven't taken lactaid. So either I'm a. more lactose intolerant and need to up the pills, b. becoming more sensitive to tomatoes, or c. becoming gluten-intolerant! *sobs in a corner*

#4 Kumo

Kumo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationgeorgia, usa

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:35 AM

Unless you have an autoimmune disorder and/or celiac's disease, going gluten free does nothing health wise for you, and could potentially actually do more harm than good, since gluten has some minerals and vitamins in it that helps your immune system keep pathogens at bay.

I am a public health graduate student (undergrad in art and biology). I have a variety of physical as well as mental health conditions (including but not limited to: PTSD, eating disorder, anxiety, and many joint issues). I am 23 years old and an ISTJ. I am very passionate about peer-reviewed results in science in regards to biology and the human body. Please respect this.

#5 lolaj193

lolaj193

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

I would recommend getting a food sensitivity test done! I recently had one and found out that i have dairy, wheat, corn, peanut, millet, peach, watermelon, turkey, and oregano intolerances. Those can cause inflammation that can further an autoimmune attack if you have hashimoto's. 

• Andros likes this

#6 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

It is true what you are saying.  Absolutely!

Hugs,

The above is opinion only, not medical advice. No doctor degrees here. Please seek the advice of a qualified physician........ Andros :D

Graves' Disease, Lupus (Systemic & Discoid), Sjogren's and old age. ;) Armour........3 1/2 grains per day.

Welcome all members! Thank you everyone for participating on this board, for helping other posters and for sharing your experiences and wisdom!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

19 March 2021 Need a great Endo or Functional M in DC area - My sister needs some help in metro DC/Northern...
10 March 2021 Anyone alternate daily levothyroxine dose? - Wondering if anyone takes (or has experience...
22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...