• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jenny v

jenny v

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2964 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Anyone make these? I am absolutely terrible about eating my veggies every day (and I could use more fruit, too) and am thinking about trying green smoothies as an easy way to get more of both into my diet.
Thyroid problems since 2002
Diagnosed with Graves Disease 2002 and Hashimoto's Disease April 2012
TT on October 10, 2013
Currently on 90mg Westhroid and 50mcg Cytomel

Information exchanged on these boards should not be construed as medical advice. We ARE NOT doctors. Please seek a qualified physician to answer your questions before acting on any information found here.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 11:34 AM

#2 hyperinnyc

hyperinnyc

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

I used to make them at home but they were too time consuming and the clean up was a mess. Not to mention constantly going to the grocery store to re-up on the veggies. Now I get them from a street vendor or health food store at least 2x a week. I also throw in a banana, berries or carrots to my spinach/kale/parsley mixture when I'm feeling fruity lol. Not sure if it makes me healthier, but it's work a try and they taste good!

Hyperthyroidism/Grave's disease - Symptoms began Mar 2011
Methimezole/tapazole June 2011
Thyroid Eye Disease began June 2011
Total thyroid removal Dec 2012 explode
75mcg of levothyroxine 1/8/13
100mcg of Synthroid 1/26/13
Back on 75mcg 2/26/13
Weight gain and sluggish, back to 88mcg 4/3/13
Feeling great on 88mcg 7/11/13

Orbital fat decompression 11/21/13

Taking an extra 75mcg each week due to fatigue and weight gain 7/2014

100mcg of synthroid 7/15/14 + Vitamin D

Upper lid retraction and blepharoplasty 11/1/14 - feeling more confident

#3 jenfrazzle

jenfrazzle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

I used to make these all the time - took 10-15 minutes. Recipes varied depending on what I had in the fridge, but my general recipe looked something like: 1 orange, 1 frozen banana, a handful of frozen berries from Costco, a scoop of protein powder, a scoop of flax, water or juice, and as much greens as I could stuff in there (kale or Swiss chard are my faves). I was a green smoothie nut for a while after I bought a Vitamix, but I've gotten lazy these days...

#4 webster2

webster2

Super Gold Veteran

• Members
  • 2766 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

I do. I used to put in spinach everyday but the NP told me to cut down on that as I have had kidney and gall stones and spinach may contribute to more of kidney stones.. She said to use kale. I slice and freeze the bananas or use applesauce that's been frozen in cubes. I alternate between almond milk, water or juice. I always put some yogurt in. Sometimes some flax or oatmeal. It is fun to experiement.

My daughter uses cubes of coffee, and or cocnut milk in hers.

Thyroid Storm June 2011

Graves Disease DX June 13, 2011
Completion Thyroidectomy July 28, 2011
(right side removed 11/14/1990)
Papillary Cancer
2.25 grains Nature-throid (11/2011-8/2013)
still looking for the correct dose 12/3 (125 mcg 5 x week 112 2x week) 5 mcg cytomel  2 x day
Life is very good! :)

#5 Ines

Ines

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:58 PM

I make green juices: carrots, celery, fennel and romaine.

#6 MySharon

MySharon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:16 AM

I make smoothees, although mine are more purple. haha, I use a Banana, almond milk, a bundle of frozen strawberries and cherries, and then I add in a Greens powder, along with peanut butter, and a host of good things I keep ready on my counter top (turmeric powder, moringa powder, chia seeds, flax seeds, caco nibs, coconut oil) all good things for the body, so I dont really taste the green. 

I do make juices with my juicer with Apple, Cucumber, Ginger, Lemon, Celery, Carrots and Kale or Spinach, so that can have a green tint, but if you put a Granny smith Apple in it makes it taste much better. I have my exact recipe that is tasty for me to drink. 

And yes it is time consuming, lots of things to clean and wash, and I have to wash the blender and my juicer, so you have to make time for that, room in the fridge, shopping, etc. But I totally feel a difference when I do it. I feel so much better! 

And if its too much work, you can buy fresh made juices at many juice bars or whole foods, and smoothees also, just make sure they are healthy ones, not sugar filled fruit juice ones. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

19 March 2021 Need a great Endo or Functional M in DC area - My sister needs some help in metro DC/Northern...
10 March 2021 Anyone alternate daily levothyroxine dose? - Wondering if anyone takes (or has experience...
22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...