• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nodakmom

nodakmom

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

As much as we dread having to do the low iodine diet for thyca scans, I have to admit it's a healthy diet and I actually lost some weight cuz I ate healthier. The other day I got to wondering, would it be possible to live an LID lifestyle (like eating low fat, low cholesterol, low carb, etc), would there be any long term consequences since we have no thyroid for it to affect?
My Thyroid Journey Timeline
Fall 2003 - Ultrasound, Tc 9 scan, FNA
Yearly ultrasounds
August 2011 - Ultrasound, FNA-left side inconclusive and growing
October 13, 2011 - Total Thyroidectomy
November 1, 2011 - Confirmed Follicular-Variant Papillary Cancer, well-differentiated & encapsulated
November 9, 2011 - Radioactive Iodine Ablation 50mci
Taking 200mcg Synthroid

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 11:31 AM

#2 Octavia

Octavia

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4918 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

I don't know about the long-term "consequences" but I would think that if there were any, they would be positive, not negative.

And I agree - as much as I hated the LID, I knew it was a better way for me to eat!
- Pug lover, saxophone player
- 3.2 cm nodule, inconclusive FNA January 2011
- Partial thyroidectomy February 2011; Papillary cancer; completion thyroidectomy March 2011
- RAI May 2011
- 1-year scan in April 2012 was clear

Information exchanged on these boards should not be construed as medical advice. We ARE NOT doctors. Please seek a qualified physician to answer your questions before acting on any information found here.

#3 JPGreco

JPGreco

Super Gold Veteran

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

Its not really all that different from most 'diets'. However, for long term use, it is no longer a diet, but a lifestyle simply by definition. Diets are temporary. Eating healthier is always good, however I wouldn't define it as a LIL (low iodine lifestyle), but rather take the good from the LID and add it to your lifestyle. So if eating less pizza and chinese food is part of that, that is always good. Personally, I can't give up certain aspects of the LID and I'm grateful my uptake was high enough that I didn't have strict rules prior to my RAIA.

The key is just try to be healthier. I personally dislike labels and such but there are benefits to the reduction or elimination of certain foods that the LID suggests. Your diet(as in what you eat regularly, and not a temporary change) is only one part of that. Exercise is another big aspect to it.

#4 Trevis

Trevis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:41 AM

Hi everyone! For any of you who haven't read my other thread a couple months back, I was diagnosed and treated for papillary carcinoma of my thyroid on January 27th, 2014 at the age of 27. I had a total thyroidectomy, and am unclear as to how many lymph nodes were removed. My surgeon told my sister that he got them all surrounding my thyroid, but my pathology report said that only one was submitted to them. Either way my tumor was 4cm in diameter, the size of an orange, and completely encapsulated. I have been off all meds for almost a month, and on the LID for the past 2 weeks. I had my pre-ablation scan yesterday and am scheduled for my RAI treatment and hospital stay on Monday.

NAT

#5 joplin1975

joplin1975

Super Gold Veteran

• Administrators
  • 7065 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:24 PM

Good luck with treatment, Trevis. Hopefully you can get back on the thyroid meds ASAP. :)
Papillary cancer with lymph node involvement
Total Thyroidectomy 8/29/11
TSH 71.17 on 9/14/11
RAI 100mci 9/23/11
Starting point for replacement meds: 50 mcgs of Synthroid, TSH 121.88 on 11/8/11; 100 mcgs of Synthroid, TSH 43.21 on 12/9/11; 137 mcgs of Synthroid, TSH 7.88 on 1/11/12; TSH 8.38 on 2/9/12, 150 mcgs of Synthroid, TSH 2.81 on 3/27/12, TSH 0.54 on 5/8/12, TSH 0.78 on 8/8/12, TSH 0.39 on 12/20/12, TSH 0.24 on 3/5/13, TSH 0.33 on 4/15/14, TSH .12 on 3/10/15, TSH 0.21 on 9/15/2016, TSH .12 on 2/17/17.

#6 puritanize

puritanize

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:25 AM

Old post, just had to pint this out. actually there are loads of issues with LID

a couple of easy one:

1) Statistically heart patients end up next with their gallbladders taken out. why? doctors tell them to go low fat. So what ends up happening your gallbladder stores the bile, it will not release it due to not having good fat, it gets stagnant so to speak and then you end up with loads of stones and gallbladder issues.

2) Your thyroid needs good fat and good carbs. every hormone in your body is made from cholesterol. You are actually going against the natural workings of the body and will likely suffer the consequences. 

The key is are you eating good fats? Or are you eating omega 6 rich bad oils like canola, corn, vegetable, etc...

Just a couple of issues, many more though. Be careful...

#7 Octavia

Octavia

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4918 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

Good to know. 

- Pug lover, saxophone player
- 3.2 cm nodule, inconclusive FNA January 2011
- Partial thyroidectomy February 2011; Papillary cancer; completion thyroidectomy March 2011
- RAI May 2011
- 1-year scan in April 2012 was clear

Information exchanged on these boards should not be construed as medical advice. We ARE NOT doctors. Please seek a qualified physician to answer your questions before acting on any information found here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

19 March 2021 Need a great Endo or Functional M in DC area - My sister needs some help in metro DC/Northern...
10 March 2021 Anyone alternate daily levothyroxine dose? - Wondering if anyone takes (or has experience...
22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...