Anybody interested in a group weight loss effort? - Exercise for a Healthy and Active Lifestyle - Thyroid Boards

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody interested in a group weight loss effort?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Octavia

Octavia

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4918 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

I went for a jog yesterday (pretty excited about this...it was my first jog of the year, and I used to be a runner) for 20 minutes. While I was jogging, I concocted an idea, if others are interested...

It seems like several of us are not at our ideal weights, for various reason's. What I'm thinking is we could start a new thread where we all post our weekly diet, exercise, and weight progress. Each of us would have only ONE POST, which we would edit each week. (This would keep the thread from getting too cluttered. As far as I know, we can always edit our own posts...there's no time limit.)

Your post would start out with your current state and your goals. Each week, you post your progress, within the same post. If you don't want to put your actual weight, you could say something like "Goal: lose 38 pounds." Then each week, you post your loss so far, such as "Week 3: minus 5 pounds." (That's total, not for just that week...the only people who lose 5 pounds in a week are the ones on Biggest Loser...)

We could all "weigh in" on Sundays, perhaps.

Here's an example of what my first couple of posts would be:

Goal: Lose 10 pounds so my clothes fit better, so I feel better, and to prepare to my trip to Jamaica in December.

Week 1:

Exercise -
Monday - 20 minute jog
Tuesday - none
Wednesday - 1-hour spin class
Thursday - 30-minute walk
Friday - none
Saturday - none
Sunday - 30-minute bike ride

Diet - I cut back on carbs this week.

Weight:
This week - lost 1 pound
Total - lost 1 pound

Goal for this week: I'd like to increase my exercise and stick to the low-carb meals.

-----------------------------------------
Week 2:

Exercise -
Monday - 1-hour spin class
Tuesday - none
Thursday - 20-minute jog
Friday - none
Saturday - none

Diet - I stuck with the low-carb meals!

Weight:
This week - lost 1.5 pounds
Total - lost 2.5 pounds

--------------------------------------------------

So...anybody interested? If there's interest, I'll start a new thread for this. :)

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 11:51 AM

#2 peacesells560

peacesells560

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:13 AM

I'm interested. I'd like to get down to 220-225 from 277. Believe it or not, that's what I weighed when I had a 32 inch waist. I have a 40 inch waist now. I'm 22, 6 feet 2 inches tall, and have an athletic build {think football player}, I'll never weigh what the BMI says I should, unless I get cancer or start doing drugs, lol.
100 MCG Synthroid, 40 MG Ritalin twice daily
Hashimoto's Disease, DX'ed 9/1/11, symptoms/messed up bloodwork since 04/03, Attention Deficit Disorder, DX'ed back when I was in Elementary School, Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome {Social JetLag} 9 MG Melatonin.

#3 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

I went for a jog yesterday (pretty excited about this...it was my first jog of the year, and I used to be a runner) for 20 minutes. While I was jogging, I concocted an idea, if others are interested...

It seems like several of us are not at our ideal weights, for various reason's. What I'm thinking is we could start a new thread where we all post our weekly diet, exercise, and weight progress. Each of us would have only ONE POST, which we would edit each week. (This would keep the thread from getting too cluttered. As far as I know, we can always edit our own posts...there's no time limit.)

Your post would start out with your current state and your goals. Each week, you post your progress, within the same post. If you don't want to put your actual weight, you could say something like "Goal: lose 38 pounds." Then each week, you post your loss so far, such as "Week 3: minus 5 pounds." (That's total, not for just that week...the only people who lose 5 pounds in a week are the ones on Biggest Loser...)

We could all "weigh in" on Sundays, perhaps.

Here's an example of what my first couple of posts would be:

Goal: Lose 10 pounds so my clothes fit better, so I feel better, and to prepare to my trip to Jamaica in December.

Week 1:

Exercise -
Monday - 20 minute jog
Tuesday - none
Thursday - 30-minute walk
Friday - none
Saturday - none

Diet - I cut back on carbs this week.

Weight:
This week - lost 1 pound
Total - lost 1 pound

Goal for this week: I'd like to increase my exercise and stick to the low-carb meals.

-----------------------------------------
Week 2:

Exercise -
Monday - 1-hour spin class
Tuesday - none
Thursday - 20-minute jog
Friday - none
Saturday - none

Diet - I stuck with the low-carb meals!

Weight:
This week - lost 1.5 pounds
Total - lost 2.5 pounds

--------------------------------------------------

So...anybody interested? If there's interest, I'll start a new thread for this. :)

What a wonderful idea, Octavia!! What woman does not want to lose at least a few pounds.

As you all know, I am so so busy answering other posts but I am an interested party and will drop in from time to time.

Tip: Try not to over set your goals. That could be a recipe for disaster. Instead of saying, "I need to lose 100 lbs.,"; say to yourself, "I need to lose 1 lb.!" You see? And then you do lose that 1 lb. and another and another etc..

Anybody for more tips?

The above is opinion only, not medical advice. No doctor degrees here. Please seek the advice of a qualified physician........ Andros :D

Graves' Disease, Lupus (Systemic & Discoid), Sjogren's and old age. ;) Armour........3 1/2 grains per day.

Welcome all members! Thank you everyone for participating on this board, for helping other posters and for sharing your experiences and wisdom!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#4 Annie2415

Annie2415

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

Hi all!

I have a GRRRREAT tip! A friend recently recommended a book. It's called 'The Diet Cure' and the author is Julia Ross. Oh my goodness! Eye opening, educational, comprehensive! It is NOT a diet book. It IS an amazing resource and teaches us exactly what we might be deficient in and how to fix those deficiencies naturally so that we can lose weight the natural, healthy way without starving ourselves, giving our bodies exactly what it NEEDS to lose weight. It lists symptoms and what deficiencies may be causing them. Don't take my word for it...google it and read an excerpt! I am cleaning out my pantry this weekend of all processed junk and going grocery shopping with the list I created in this book. And it's easy stuff..nothing complicated! GOOD LUCK!! :hugs:

#5 I DClaire

I DClaire

Super Gold Veteran

• Members
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:05 PM

I'd love to participate. My mind feels so totally jumbled right now; I don't know if I have the concentration to stay with anything. I've lost 25 lbs. this summer without dieting at all - for awhile every morning I'd wake-up and I'd be a pound lighter but that seems to have stopped and I worry/wonder if it won't come right back after surgery on 9/23.

I really don't have much appetite these days, which is different for me. Food appeals to me to some degree but it doesn't seem to usually taste right.

I do, beyond a doubt, want to do everything I can to feel better and get my life back after my surgery. I'm not at all going into this expecting an operation to restore the energy and sense of mental/emotional stability I feel like I'm losing. I really want to know more about gluten-free AND I hope I truly hope I can get back to cooking more.

My #1 biggest problem as far as exercise is chronic arthritis in both knees. I used to walk/jog 2-4 miles a day and felt like a million bucks - I'd love to feel just half that energetic again.

My #2 biggest problem is a husband whose parents were two of the best cooks on earth and every meal was a big deal. Sometime I'll share my late father-in-law's story. His mother died in childbirth when he was a toddler and his grieving father abandoned him to a Catholic convent in South Louisiana where he stayed for 15 years...apparently all but starving much of that time. After he married he always kept a packed pantry, 3 refrigerators and 2 freezers full of food and cooking for others was his passion.

#6 Octavia

Octavia

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4918 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:11 AM

My apologies...I will start the new "healthy living" thread tomorrow...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

19 March 2021 Need a great Endo or Functional M in DC area - My sister needs some help in metro DC/Northern...
10 March 2021 Anyone alternate daily levothyroxine dose? - Wondering if anyone takes (or has experience...
22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...