Review confirms benefits of outdoor exercise - Exercise for a Healthy and Active Lifestyle - Thyroid Boards

Photo
- - - - -

Review confirms benefits of outdoor exercise

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:55 PM

Review confirms benefits of outdoor exercise.

This happens to be very very true from my personal perspective. Not only do hubby and I walk outside every day but I also do a lot of my stretching exercises, some Tai Chi and with a broom handle I do the "twisties" for side abs and shoulder mobility exercises.

The outdoors can be very very uplifting if you let it be.

http://www.physorg.c...ts-outdoor.html

The above is opinion only, not medical advice. No doctor degrees here. Please seek the advice of a qualified physician........ Andros :D

Graves' Disease, Lupus (Systemic & Discoid), Sjogren's and old age. ;) Armour........3 1/2 grains per day.

Welcome all members! Thank you everyone for participating on this board, for helping other posters and for sharing your experiences and wisdom!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 11:22 AM

#2 CA-Lynn

CA-Lynn

Super Gold Veteran

• Members
  • 1550 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:36 AM

Boy is that the truth.

Up until I became ill last fall I had been walking daily - just 1.5 miles, but for a person with bad arthritis in the weight bearing joints, that was pretty good. I developed one medical problem after another last fall and only in the past week was able to get up and go for a decent walk. Oh, it's wonderful. I just love looking at the gardens and flowers and watch the gardeners trim shrubs. And then there are the people walking their dogs. Oh how I missed that.

Granted, I may not walk as far as Andros does [nowhere close!] but just being outdoors and taking in Mother Nature's work is so uplifting.

#3 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

Boy is that the truth.

Up until I became ill last fall I had been walking daily - just 1.5 miles, but for a person with bad arthritis in the weight bearing joints, that was pretty good. I developed one medical problem after another last fall and only in the past week was able to get up and go for a decent walk. Oh, it's wonderful. I just love looking at the gardens and flowers and watch the gardeners trim shrubs. And then there are the people walking their dogs. Oh how I missed that.

Granted, I may not walk as far as Andros does [nowhere close!] but just being outdoors and taking in Mother Nature's work is so uplifting.

Hah!! You are much too modest!!! You go, GF!! Anybody that fights through the pain like you do has my utmost admiration.

You are the "best!"

The above is opinion only, not medical advice. No doctor degrees here. Please seek the advice of a qualified physician........ Andros :D

Graves' Disease, Lupus (Systemic & Discoid), Sjogren's and old age. ;) Armour........3 1/2 grains per day.

Welcome all members! Thank you everyone for participating on this board, for helping other posters and for sharing your experiences and wisdom!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#4 webster2

webster2

Super Gold Veteran

• Members
  • 2766 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

Boy is that the truth.

Your post gives me hope. I'd just regained my mobility after a spinal fusion, only to have this challenge present itself. You give me inspiration that I will be active again, soon! Thank you!

Thyroid Storm June 2011

Graves Disease DX June 13, 2011
Completion Thyroidectomy July 28, 2011
(right side removed 11/14/1990)
Papillary Cancer
2.25 grains Nature-throid (11/2011-8/2013)
still looking for the correct dose 12/3 (125 mcg 5 x week 112 2x week) 5 mcg cytomel  2 x day
Life is very good! :)

#5 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

Your post gives me hope. I'd just regained my mobility after a spinal fusion, only to have this challenge present itself. You give me inspiration that I will be active again, soon! Thank you!

Oh, trust me. I have 2 herniated discs, 10 bulging discs and 3 detatched rib heads in the thoracic region. If I can do it, you can too.

In the last week, I have hauled up the hand weights to the garage so now we are doing all sorts of exercises. Squats, lunges, biceps, triceps, pecs..................calf raises...............you name it. All outside!! It is wonderful!

We fast walk for a few minutes, stop and do 12 reps of something, walk, do reps.........................I'll tell you; you don't even realize what you are accomplishing each and every morning. And afternoon if it is not blazing hot out.

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#6 webster2

webster2

Super Gold Veteran

• Members
  • 2766 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

Oh, trust me. I have 2 herniated discs, 10 bulging discs and 3 detatched rib heads in the thoracic region. If I can do it, you can too.

In the last week, I have hauled up the hand weights to the garage so now we are doing all sorts of exercises. Squats, lunges, biceps, triceps, pecs..................calf raises...............you name it. All outside!! It is wonderful!

We fast walk for a few minutes, stop and do 12 reps of something, walk, do reps.........................I'll tell you; you don't even realize what you are accomplishing each and every morning. And afternoon if it is not blazing hot out.

OMG, I can't tell you how much you continue to amaze me! I have some new bulging discs since the surgery (darn), shoveling snow seems to have aggravated them. You are definitely an inspiration to all of us! You have shown me I can do it! Thank you! :party0009:

Thyroid Storm June 2011

Graves Disease DX June 13, 2011
Completion Thyroidectomy July 28, 2011
(right side removed 11/14/1990)
Papillary Cancer
2.25 grains Nature-throid (11/2011-8/2013)
still looking for the correct dose 12/3 (125 mcg 5 x week 112 2x week) 5 mcg cytomel  2 x day
Life is very good! :)

#7 Agbert

Agbert

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

Physical activity prevent you from diseases, help in weight losand weight managment and better sleep. Exercise make you happier and more relaxed than you were before you worked out. Regular physical activity can even help prevent depression and high blood pressure. Exercise help in burn calories. The more intense the workout,
the more calories you burn, and make easier to keep your weight under control.
Agbert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

19 March 2021 Need a great Endo or Functional M in DC area - My sister needs some help in metro DC/Northern...
10 March 2021 Anyone alternate daily levothyroxine dose? - Wondering if anyone takes (or has experience...
22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...