Has anyone tried Ashwagandha? - Thyroid Disease General Discussion Forum - Thyroid Boards

Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone tried Ashwagandha?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lee

Lee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:00 PM

I'm curious if anyone had good results with this herb? I'm not big on being out on meds and I always look for diet related or other fixes prior to giving in. I was put on .025mg of Synthroid last week and was looking into Ashwagandha.

Thanks

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 08:27 AM

#2 jenny v

jenny v

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2964 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:15 PM

I would absolutely stay away from it unless you've done a cortisol saliva test and know that you need it.

• webster2 likes this
Thyroid problems since 2002
Diagnosed with Graves Disease 2002 and Hashimoto's Disease April 2012
TT on October 10, 2013
Currently on 90mg Westhroid and 50mcg Cytomel

Information exchanged on these boards should not be construed as medical advice. We ARE NOT doctors. Please seek a qualified physician to answer your questions before acting on any information found here.

#3 Lee

Lee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:06 AM

Hi Jenny,

How does one get a cortisol saliva test?

Thanks

#4 Lovlkn

Lovlkn

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 6601 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:32 AM

I was put on .025mg of Synthroid last week and was looking into Ashwagandha. 

Can you please post what thyroid labs you have had run with ranges please.

It is not a good idea to add supplements prior to becoming stable on thyroid replacement.  

Unfortunately, when taking medication adding or stopping any drug or supplement may have an effect on lab results.  Slow and steady wins this race.

Free T-4 and Free T-3 are absolutely necessary to properly dose yourself.
My experience is that 1/2 - 3/4 of range is your goal for optimal treatment

My Journey... 7 years to receive a diagnosis. TT 2004 after 4.5 years on Tapazole that had to be adjusted monthly - endo ran labs every 4 weeks. Remission was never going to happen for me so I opted for surgery to remove. Final DX by surgeon was Hashitoxicosis, TPO antibodies over 2000 and TSI 316% within the year prior to surgery. I never had a ultrasound or any lab testing to rule out cancer - pathology was negative. Post surgery I was kept hypo for many years - until I figured out how to dose my self, relying on where I fell in the FT-4 and FT-3 labs. I run TSH below range due to positive TBII antibodies. Horrible time adjusting to addition of Cytomel = patience pays off when adding this drug to the mix.

The happy ending ---> Stable dose since 1/10 Unithroid 125mcg, Cytomel 12.5mcg - labs I can live with.

None of the information on ThyroidBoards.com is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information shared is based on my personal experiences and should not be considered medical advice. Please consult a physician before adjusting any medication.

#5 jenny v

jenny v

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2964 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

Lee, you can order them online, you don't need a doctor. I use Canary Club to order mine.

Thyroid problems since 2002
Diagnosed with Graves Disease 2002 and Hashimoto's Disease April 2012
TT on October 10, 2013
Currently on 90mg Westhroid and 50mcg Cytomel

Information exchanged on these boards should not be construed as medical advice. We ARE NOT doctors. Please seek a qualified physician to answer your questions before acting on any information found here.

#6 Gloriaroy

Gloriaroy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:45 AM

Yes, I have tried it. It was very useful for stress relief. My opinion is to buy organic ashwagandha. There are so many brands provides pure organic ashwagandha. Warrior Strong Wellness is one of them. They provides pure organic ashwagandha max with bioperine. It contains no filler ingredients, artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners or preservetives. It supports adrenal health, positive mind health, balances energy & mood, nervous & immune system and grief support.

• Gloriaroy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

19 March 2021 Need a great Endo or Functional M in DC area - My sister needs some help in metro DC/Northern...
10 March 2021 Anyone alternate daily levothyroxine dose? - Wondering if anyone takes (or has experience...
22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...