• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blablabirdie

blablabirdie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:47 PM

Anyone vegetarian and diagnosed with Hashi's? I've been on a vegetarian diet for 20 years and will not go back to eating meat, but also want to keep things as ideal as possible to keep my thyroid in check. I don't eat a lot of soy, and what I do it is non-GMO often regular soy beans/tofu -- which I have not consumed since my diagnosis. But I do eat a very heavy legume/nut based diet. I prepare most of my own foods, but am still super nervous now about diet. A lot of what I read is very pro Paleo for thyroid issues, and I'm just not willing to go there. Anyone else dealing with this and found something that works for them?

My story:

Hashimotojourney.com

Diagnosed 1/2015

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 10:58 AM

#2 puritanize

puritanize

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:58 PM

Have you heard of Paleo Mom. Look what happened to her. She ended up with a major thyroid issue. Her diet would be considered perfect in many ways, yet she was writing a book, not sleeping at the right time, stressing her out, etc. She is really taking a ton of heat for it.

I understand not wanting to eat meat.  You can always add a great collagen supplement. Soy in any form unless it's fermented is just so bad. Your thyroid needs good fats. Nuts/seeds way to Omega 6 dominant.

However, it was not until I did the Array 4 test that turned my like around. Eating foods like rice, etc would have acted just like wheat in my body. Thus causing major issues with m thyroid. I assume by now you are sugar and gluten free. However in many cases with thyroid patients gluten free grains cause issues as well. I am what you consider Paleo. Once again though if you don't eat meat it can just be tough. http://chriskresser....and-vegan-diets

http://thyroidboards...ross-reacti-r22

My thyroid is healing, numbers are great and I continue to improve when I sleep. I cut all blue light at night and go orange light. It's amazing how it's just not about food. We do no wireless and cut our RF issues. Nothing, cell phones, food, etc is worth my health. Just some thoughts :)

#3 jenny v

jenny v

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2964 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:31 PM

Could I ask what orange light is? I've never heard of that before!

Thyroid problems since 2002
Diagnosed with Graves Disease 2002 and Hashimoto's Disease April 2012
TT on October 10, 2013
Currently on 90mg Westhroid and 50mcg Cytomel

Information exchanged on these boards should not be construed as medical advice. We ARE NOT doctors. Please seek a qualified physician to answer your questions before acting on any information found here.

#4 blablabirdie

blablabirdie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for the response. Meat and fish are out and not something I am going to even consider at this point, it is a non-discussion, which makes Paleo practically impossible. 

That said, I am only about 4 weeks from my diagnosis. So I'm planning on taking this one day at a time and following my body's lead when it comes to legumes and other grains. 

Just wondering if anyone else here is keeping a vegetarian diet and what they have experienced. Eating fermented soy was also one of the most disgusting things I have ever tasted in my life ... so I think I would rather just cut soy in general. 

My story:

Hashimotojourney.com

Diagnosed 1/2015

#5 puritanize

puritanize

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:11 PM

Beware with the how my body feels thought. Clearly if you have any health issues at all, your body is telling you there is an issue. if you don't test the only way to see if something is bothering you is an elimination diet. Cut everything (eggs, dairy, legumes, grains, etc). Then introduce 1 at a time. Before I tested I was on one. My wife needed to do the test so I figured why not. I am thankful I did, sometimes it can be hard to tell if you have an issue with just one thing. The test was life changing :) However the elimination plans can be great for those more sensitive and knowing of how their body reacts to food.

Good luck on your path, I hope all is OK and goes well.

• blablabirdie likes this

#6 puritanize

puritanize

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:13 PM

Sleep is vital to health, being in bed by 10pm and sleeping in a pure dark room 

The blue light (regular light, etc) is damaging and tough to your melatonin. Basically it shuts it off. It ruins that hormone and others. Since we went to a natural amber light and I use orange glasses after dark, my sleep has never been better :) So hopefully my overall hormone health is following. 

Could I ask what orange light is? I've never heard of that before!

#7 Swimmer

Swimmer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:26 AM

Puritanize -- I am back visiting the board and I remember over a year ago - maybe two years -- when you were going the natural route -- seeing a naturopath and you were going for it.  I would love it if you would start a new threat over in the natural section and please give us a full update -- ALL that you have done, the whole process for you and how your labs have changed and what all has changed for you.

I too have been going the natural route -- it's so much to change that it has been step by step.  IT's interesting that you mention the wireless stuff -- I remember looking into some of that awhile back -- did you also get a specialized cover for your electrical company box (if yours has gone wireless) -- Thanks for bringing this to mind. 

I've been to a dietician and got the MRT blood test, following the leap protocol -- so I too have removed foods that are "sensitivities" for me.  Cut gluten, soy, and cow milk in the glass...  R.D. recommendations for anyone with autoimmune -- except the soy is just plain -- NO SOY.

Looking forward to hearing your update!!!  Glad to hear things are going better!!  I'm doing better too -- still in the journey to wellness -- I'm haven't kicked this yet and still waiting to see where all of these changes take me in the long run -- thinking this could take a couple of years.

I'm on a journey taking armour thyroid!  What a wonderful help for Hashimoto's!

Vitamin D, selenium and Iron through THORNE RESEARCH LABS

& Vitamin C

Great stuff!

Also --

Coconut oil and caprylic acid --

YAY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

19 March 2021 Need a great Endo or Functional M in DC area - My sister needs some help in metro DC/Northern...
10 March 2021 Anyone alternate daily levothyroxine dose? - Wondering if anyone takes (or has experience...
22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...