This is so sad........................... - Exercise for a Healthy and Active Lifestyle - Thyroid Boards

Photo
- - - - -

This is so sad...........................

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:47 PM

Are any of you exercising?  Hubby and I fast walk daily; sometimes twice a day and I go to the fitness center 5 days a week.

Let's hear what YOU are doing to help your body heal!!!

The above is opinion only, not medical advice. No doctor degrees here. Please seek the advice of a qualified physician........ Andros :D

Graves' Disease, Lupus (Systemic & Discoid), Sjogren's and old age. ;) Armour........3 1/2 grains per day.

Welcome all members! Thank you everyone for participating on this board, for helping other posters and for sharing your experiences and wisdom!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 10:59 AM

#2 jenny v

jenny v

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2964 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:32 PM

I swim--4 days a week, 30 minutes each time (I'm trying to increase slowly to 5 days a week for 45 minutes each time). I also walk the dog a few miles 6 days a week and I'm starting to do some light weight training (I get plenty of cardio but no weights).

• Andros likes this
Thyroid problems since 2002
Diagnosed with Graves Disease 2002 and Hashimoto's Disease April 2012
TT on October 10, 2013
Currently on 90mg Westhroid and 50mcg Cytomel

Information exchanged on these boards should not be construed as medical advice. We ARE NOT doctors. Please seek a qualified physician to answer your questions before acting on any information found here.

#3 jade

jade

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:49 PM

I do a lot of walking and workout with free weights. I try to do 100 situps a day holding a 10 pound weight. If I get my energy back, I'll probably start jogging again.
  • Andros likes this
TT 8/2015 for Graves/Multi-Nodular Goiter
Currently on 100mcg Levothyroxine 8.5pills per week & 5mcg Cytomel 1x daily

#4 joplin1975

joplin1975

Super Gold Veteran

• Administrators
  • 7065 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:36 PM

Now I'm very confused...why is the title "this is so sad"?? It's all good stuff :)

• Andros likes this
Papillary cancer with lymph node involvement
Total Thyroidectomy 8/29/11
TSH 71.17 on 9/14/11
RAI 100mci 9/23/11
Starting point for replacement meds: 50 mcgs of Synthroid, TSH 121.88 on 11/8/11; 100 mcgs of Synthroid, TSH 43.21 on 12/9/11; 137 mcgs of Synthroid, TSH 7.88 on 1/11/12; TSH 8.38 on 2/9/12, 150 mcgs of Synthroid, TSH 2.81 on 3/27/12, TSH 0.54 on 5/8/12, TSH 0.78 on 8/8/12, TSH 0.39 on 12/20/12, TSH 0.24 on 3/5/13, TSH 0.33 on 4/15/14, TSH .12 on 3/10/15, TSH 0.21 on 9/15/2016, TSH .12 on 2/17/17.

#5 puritanize

puritanize

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:02 AM

well I wish I could workout more, not that i like it but because I need to. But with my adrenals shot still and cortisol levels too high, if my body tears down it can not rebuild.repair fast enough. I had a stern warning from my doctor to follow this!

So I do functional training to help strengthen my core, I do one of those shaker tables from upgradedself.com. Also do a sauna. Better than nothing at least :)

• Andros likes this

#6 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:49 PM

ROLF!!!  I "thought" no body would reply..........................so now I am putting on a happy face! :D

The above is opinion only, not medical advice. No doctor degrees here. Please seek the advice of a qualified physician........ Andros :D

Graves' Disease, Lupus (Systemic & Discoid), Sjogren's and old age. ;) Armour........3 1/2 grains per day.

Welcome all members! Thank you everyone for participating on this board, for helping other posters and for sharing your experiences and wisdom!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#7 Lovlkn

Lovlkn

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 6601 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:13 PM

well I wish I could workout more, not that i like it but because I need to. But with my adrenals shot still and cortisol levels too high, if my body tears down it can not rebuild.repair fast enough. I had a stern warning from my doctor to follow this!

So I do functional training to help strengthen my core, I do one of those shaker tables from upgradedself.com. Also do a sauna. Better than nothing at least :)

You should add some yoga - I do a Hatha class 2x a week most weeks.  It had been an amazing healing journey - mental and physical.

I also walk 1 mile daily - as fast as my dog will allow, all house and yard work which I do consider exercise, mainly because I've gained weight when I do not do it.  Throw on a new interest in hiking and mountain biking to build my quad muscles due to "bad knees". 

I believe i may have found my sleep aid.  I sleep better when I hike or mountain bike- LOL, I've been avoiding cardio due to Graves PTSD syndrome of having my heartrate elevate.

That's why Hatha yoga works so well for me - I get toned and strengthened and stretched with minimal cardio - my thoughts are that my heart had a heck of a 7 years undiagnosed Graves workout.

• Andros likes this
Free T-4 and Free T-3 are absolutely necessary to properly dose yourself.
My experience is that 1/2 - 3/4 of range is your goal for optimal treatment

My Journey... 7 years to receive a diagnosis. TT 2004 after 4.5 years on Tapazole that had to be adjusted monthly - endo ran labs every 4 weeks. Remission was never going to happen for me so I opted for surgery to remove. Final DX by surgeon was Hashitoxicosis, TPO antibodies over 2000 and TSI 316% within the year prior to surgery. I never had a ultrasound or any lab testing to rule out cancer - pathology was negative. Post surgery I was kept hypo for many years - until I figured out how to dose my self, relying on where I fell in the FT-4 and FT-3 labs. I run TSH below range due to positive TBII antibodies. Horrible time adjusting to addition of Cytomel = patience pays off when adding this drug to the mix.

The happy ending ---> Stable dose since 1/10 Unithroid 125mcg, Cytomel 12.5mcg - labs I can live with.

None of the information on ThyroidBoards.com is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information shared is based on my personal experiences and should not be considered medical advice. Please consult a physician before adjusting any medication.

#8 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

I love Yoga.  I do it for my back!  I wish I had more time because I love to do "everything" that is good for me!  I would like to do Tai Chi one day!

Hugs,

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#9 puritanize

puritanize

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:07 AM

The foundational training i do is like yoga, specifically for the L5 issues. When I watched the idea. it's nice these short stocky guys made the stretched and things they did look so easy. I am lanky and 6'4" and gave my wife a good laugh as she made sure I was doing each one correctly. Unfortunately, yoga for me, some of the recommended positions are the worst things you can do for an L5 issue. Glad my PT dear old friend schooled me long ago as to what I can do and cannot. 

#10 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

Ah; yes.....................we all need to be careful.  Not all exercises are for everyone.  But, it is fun to do the ones that are safe to do and move on to others.  I call this eclectic exercising.  ROLF!

My most favorite exercise of all is gardening.  I hope to be able to do that for many years to come!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

19 March 2021 Need a great Endo or Functional M in DC area - My sister needs some help in metro DC/Northern...
10 March 2021 Anyone alternate daily levothyroxine dose? - Wondering if anyone takes (or has experience...
22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...