If you believe that a specific diet helps with thyroid... - Nutrition and Diet - Thyroid Boards

Photo
- - - - -

If you believe that a specific diet helps with thyroid...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Seeking

Seeking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:00 AM

Why do you believe this? Why do you think that a low-carb diet helps? Please tell me what carbs are doing to your thyroid that aggravate your symptoms. Please be very specific and please back up your claims with references. And what about gluten? Do you think that gluten is hurting your thyroid? If so, why?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 11:30 AM

#2 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

I would answer but only have myself to back up my claim.

Welcome to the board!

• jenny1031 likes this

The above is opinion only, not medical advice. No doctor degrees here. Please seek the advice of a qualified physician........ Andros :D

Graves' Disease, Lupus (Systemic & Discoid), Sjogren's and old age. ;) Armour........3 1/2 grains per day.

Welcome all members! Thank you everyone for participating on this board, for helping other posters and for sharing your experiences and wisdom!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#3 puritanize

puritanize

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

Have you actually researched this yourself or are you here just to doubt? If you are truly seeking answers, their are loads out there. The science and the studies are there. Face it, the food system in the US is a mess, processed and full of chemicals. Funny, the science is actually very basic on this. Start here and have fun with your own research, don;t believe just what he says, start with this and keep reading and searching.

http://chriskresser....roid-connection

I can tell you my life has done a 180, simply by changing what I eat.

Why do you believe this? Why do you think that a low-carb diet helps? Please tell me what carbs are doing to your thyroid that aggravate your symptoms. Please be very specific and please back up your claims with references. And what about gluten? Do you think that gluten is hurting your thyroid? If so, why?

#4 puritanize

puritanize

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:03 AM

Here's one more :)

http://www.thepaleom...ving-it-up.html

Nice starting places. 

#5 Swimmer

Swimmer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

A low carb diet, for some, causes weight loss, a reversal in type two diabetes, and with the change of those two things; many can have an overall improvement in their health; how that relates to thyroid; may be that for some with thyroid problems they can't seem to lose weight, and perhaps this is very beneficial for some; however, I have read of people being on low-carb diets and not losing the weight - (you can still overeat - you can still not do it correctly and still be stuck.)  I have also read enough to know that going on a fully low-carb diet is not advisable for some thyroid problems due to the lack of carb calories; such as in hypothyroid or hashimoto's; that you can possibly slow your already slow metabolism and that isn't a good idea.  So if one wants to tinker with this diet - they might try something similar to "Trim Healthy Mama" or Chris Powell's style of Dieting (Carb Cycling) to keep the carbs coming while still reaping the benefits of a low-carb diet.

Regarding gluten, there are some tests that go beyond the test that is for quick response gluten allergies, the long term/delayed response, as well as a gluten/gliadin stool test which can help to identify if it's a problem.  For more information on gluten/allergy issues, I might recommend reading a book on the "GAPS DIET" which gets into issues regarding food problems/intolerances.  For a more direct answer to your question, however, I will answer you this way.  I've been hearing this gluten thing for awhile.  After reading, looking into it, etc., I finally asked my endocrinologist (of 40+years or so) we're talking "Western physician - evidence based medicine" -- I asked him, "So is there anything to this gluten/hashimoto's thing?"  His answer "Yes, for some.  Do you have any digestive issues?"  ((After research I understand now that you can also have the problem without the obvious digestive issues.))

Anyway -- so the possibilities are there -- it is what it is -- but each one would have to figure out what their own situation is - the help of a doctor is nice -- this is not a "one size fits all" answer.  If that was the case, Western doctors who were knowledgable on the subject would be quick to make that small correction. 

Hope this is helpful.

I'm on a journey taking armour thyroid!  What a wonderful help for Hashimoto's!

Vitamin D, selenium and Iron through THORNE RESEARCH LABS

& Vitamin C

Great stuff!

Also --

Coconut oil and caprylic acid --

YAY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

19 March 2021 Need a great Endo or Functional M in DC area - My sister needs some help in metro DC/Northern...
10 March 2021 Anyone alternate daily levothyroxine dose? - Wondering if anyone takes (or has experience...
22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...