Antidepressant use with thyroid hormone replacement - Thyroid Disease General Discussion Forum - Thyroid Boards

Photo
- - - - -

Antidepressant use with thyroid hormone replacement

thyroid hashimotos graves low thyroid

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lovlkn

Lovlkn

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 6601 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:58 PM

I'm curious as to experiences taking anti depressants mostly before a thyroid dysfunction DX.

Anyone have anything to share?

Someone in my family with positive TPO and TSI, ( not high enough to treat yet) with low normal FT-4 ( meaning not quite to 1/2 range and mid range FT-3 results. ) some elevation of reverse T3  just started a low dose to help depression.

Thanks!

Free T-4 and Free T-3 are absolutely necessary to properly dose yourself.
My experience is that 1/2 - 3/4 of range is your goal for optimal treatment

My Journey... 7 years to receive a diagnosis. TT 2004 after 4.5 years on Tapazole that had to be adjusted monthly - endo ran labs every 4 weeks. Remission was never going to happen for me so I opted for surgery to remove. Final DX by surgeon was Hashitoxicosis, TPO antibodies over 2000 and TSI 316% within the year prior to surgery. I never had a ultrasound or any lab testing to rule out cancer - pathology was negative. Post surgery I was kept hypo for many years - until I figured out how to dose my self, relying on where I fell in the FT-4 and FT-3 labs. I run TSH below range due to positive TBII antibodies. Horrible time adjusting to addition of Cytomel = patience pays off when adding this drug to the mix.

The happy ending ---> Stable dose since 1/10 Unithroid 125mcg, Cytomel 12.5mcg - labs I can live with.

None of the information on ThyroidBoards.com is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information shared is based on my personal experiences and should not be considered medical advice. Please consult a physician before adjusting any medication.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 03:24 PM

#2 Pamzilla13

Pamzilla13

• Validating
  • 161 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

What is it that you want to know?

I have taken anti-depressants on and off for ~25 years There were only a couple I could tolerate. I have always been super sensitive to medications; even as a small child. 

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 years ago and I take Armour thyroid ( I couldn't tolerate Naturethroid). I don't have Hashi's. My diagnosis labs were are in range, but at the low end (including TSH). 

Ask me anything...Im not sure if my answer was what you were looking for.

#3 Lovlkn

Lovlkn

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 6601 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:51 AM

Have you been able to stop taking them once in good thyroid level range?

As we have all experienced - thyroid disease affects all parts of our being.  I never have taken them - I choose to get physical if I start feeling down and usually find a project       ( home improvement) to immerse myself into.

I do however realize that for some people depression makes doing anything difficult.

My Journey... 7 years to receive a diagnosis. TT 2004 after 4.5 years on Tapazole that had to be adjusted monthly - endo ran labs every 4 weeks. Remission was never going to happen for me so I opted for surgery to remove. Final DX by surgeon was Hashitoxicosis, TPO antibodies over 2000 and TSI 316% within the year prior to surgery. I never had a ultrasound or any lab testing to rule out cancer - pathology was negative. Post surgery I was kept hypo for many years - until I figured out how to dose my self, relying on where I fell in the FT-4 and FT-3 labs. I run TSH below range due to positive TBII antibodies. Horrible time adjusting to addition of Cytomel = patience pays off when adding this drug to the mix.

The happy ending ---> Stable dose since 1/10 Unithroid 125mcg, Cytomel 12.5mcg - labs I can live with.

None of the information on ThyroidBoards.com is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information shared is based on my personal experiences and should not be considered medical advice. Please consult a physician before adjusting any medication.

#4 Pamzilla13

Pamzilla13

• Validating
  • 161 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:43 AM

Yes, I have been able to quit taking them.

About a year ago, I started to take a low dose of Zoloft (50mg) for my peri-menopause symptoms and it helped a lot. It smoothed out my moods, less PMS,  and I was able to handle stress better. 

So, I decided to quit taking it to see how I am managing....I had no withdrawals. But I did find that after being off of it for 4 months, that I felt better with it and have started taking it again.

I take only what I need, a low dose. I was even told I could cycle it and start taking it for the last 2 weeks of my cycle and not have to take it all of the time....

I haven't experienced any side effects, just my mood is smoother.

• Lovlkn likes this

#5 creepingdeath

creepingdeath

Super Gold Veteran

• Members
  • 670 posts
  • LocationDelaware County Pennsylvania

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

I was depressed most of my life.

I attributed most of it to having the skin disease vitiligo. 

I'm sure anyone who "out of the blue" gets a strange skin disease at age 14 will get depression too.

Over the years the depression got worse along with the skin disease.

I used illicit drugs and booze to cope.

I couldn't get a decent job with benefits back then and had no health insurance to get profesional help .

At age 26 I got sick ,dizzy with balance problems so I saw a doctor who couldn't figure out what was wrong and said it was anxiety.

About a year and a half later all symptoms just disappeared out of nowhere but I was still depressed.

Right b4 my 50th birthday my thyroid started to swell and I got those same symptoms from 25 years ago along with many, many more.

It took a few years to get on the right meds from the right doctor.

Now I'm happy with no depression.

I still have vitiligo which is much worse than ever and I'm truly happy.

I never took any anti depressants from a doctor but treated the depression myself the wrong way with drugs and alcohol.

I no longer need or use that way of escape since thyroid treatment.

My point here is thyroid disease was the cause of my depression and not the vitiligo.

Yea I was depressed when I got the skin disease but after many years that should have gone away.

I knew I had something else wrong with me but no one believed me and blamed it on my skin disease.

"I'm living proof that thyroid disease causes a chemical imbalance called  clinical depression

• Lovlkn likes this

#6 Lovlkn

Lovlkn

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 6601 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:01 PM

Thank you for sharing - I feel strongly the depression is the precursor to eventual thyroid disease for my son - unfortunately.

There is still time to try and reverse the autoimmune attack - however, suggestions fall on deaf ears.

On a positive note for him - the antidepressant has taken away some of it - he is able to see a bit more clearly and is trying his best to shift his outlook.  Prior to the anti depressants - he was frozen and unable to do much of anything.

• creepingdeath likes this

#7 creepingdeath

creepingdeath

Super Gold Veteran

• Members
  • 670 posts
  • LocationDelaware County Pennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:10 PM

Just try and make sure he doesn't take the path I did........

My Family & friends never gave up on me...….. but I lost trust & respect forever.............

#8 Isthmus123

Isthmus123

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 08:57 PM

I took zoloft on and off for years for severe anxiety (some dizziness symptoms related to anxiety too) prior to my partial thyroidectomy. Now I take Synthroid and the lowest dose of zoloft. So close to 20 years of zoloft total believe it or not. In my twenties I was always feeling the pressure to get off it as soon as I can but the truth is I do a lot better on this super low dose of Zoloft (25mg). I have tinnitus I think it takes the edge off. I may take it "forever" who knows! It is an interesting question though if my thyroid were different would I need the anxiety medication but either way this current plan works well...
2012 TSH 1.7 (no issues, no symptoms)Fall 2014 TSH #s pre-surgery= 1.8 & 2.010/13/14 TSH 1.83 (.34-5.6), FT3 2.2 (2.39-6.79), FT4 0.81 (.58-1.64), TSH 1.83 (.34-5.6), T3 Reverse 17 (7-24), 0 antibodies Partial thyroidectomy 12/20014 (benign tumor)2/2015 TSH 1.96, FT3 2.26/2015 TSH 2.512/2015 TSH 3.503/2016 TSH 3.09 (symptoms worsening)4/17/2016 Start 25 mcg Levothyroxine4/30/2016 TSH 2.095/01/2016 Reduce to 0.125mcg Levo5/31/16 TSH 2.66, FT4 0.738/12/16 TSH 2.7710/13/16 Switch to Naturethyroid12/8/16 TSH 2.1, FT4 0.86, T3 1341/16/2017 TSH 2.4, FT4 0.8 (range 0.8-1.8), FT3 3.3 (range 2.3-4.2)2/01/2017 TSH 3.2 (Switched to Synthroid)02/25/2017 TSH 2.09, FT4 1.06 (.82-1.77)04/10/2017 TSH 2.22, FT4 1.0 (0.8-1.8), FT3 3.0 (2.3-4.2)06/12/2017 TSH 2.8, FT4 1.0 (0.8-1.8), FT3 2.9 (2.3-4.2)11/10/2017 TSH 0.58 Free T4 1.2 (0.8-1.8) Free T3 2.7 (2.0-4.6)02/09/2018 TSH 0.06 (after taking 88mcg 2 days a week. 75mcg 5 days a week)
02/28/18 Free T3: 3.9 (2.0-4.4)
05/08/18 TSH 0.01, Free T4 1.5 (0.8-1.8) (after 2 months of 75mcg daily)<p>

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thyroid, hashimotos, graves, low thyroid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...
10 January 2021 Winter help and expired pills? - Hello...I'm feeling a bit down since the win...
07 December 2020 Needing advice - It's been awhile since I've posted. ...