What should I say to new doctor? - Thyroid Disease General Discussion Forum - Thyroid Boards

Photo
- - - - -

What should I say to new doctor?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mrsmcw918

mrsmcw918

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:37 PM

I made an appointment with a new doctor in a few weeks. The last doctor that I went to was very dismissive after my tsh came back "normal". I sent her a message a few weeks ago asking if I could have my thyroid levels checked again, especially the antibodies, since she was concerned about them after the first labs, but never had them re-checked. I was expecting her to say no, or that I had to come in for a visit first...she has completely ignored me. Anyway, I found another dr and now I'm nervous. When I called to make the appointment, the person who took the call asked me the reason for my visit and I told her that I wanted my thyroid checked. She asked if I was on thyroid meds and I said no. She said "Why do you want your thyroid checked" I told her that I am having hypothyroid symptoms and she asked me how I was diagnosed. I really wasn't expecting all of these questions from the person taking the call! I told her that I had gone to my previous doctor and at the time she said it sounded like thyroid, but the tsh came back normal, so she dismissed it. She asked my symptoms and I started listing them and then she kind of stopped me and went back to making the appointment. She was really nice and the rest of the call went fine, but I was just shocked that she was asking me those questions.
Anyway...I don't know what to say to the new doctor. I'm afraid that she wrote notes on the appointment that said "another crazy lady that thinks she has a thyroid issue, but is fine" or "another patient of Dr. Google" Not really, lol, but I don't want to feel like this is all in my head. I don't want to look like someone who has been researching the heck out of this...even though I have because my doctor wouldn't do anything to help me. But, I know that doctors frown upon patients "diagnosing" themselves.
So, how should I handle it? Do I go in and just tell him the situation with the other doctor and list my symptoms, etc? I am SO SO SO scared that it will be "normal" again and that I'll have to start over, because I'm not great at standing up for myself and I'm afraid I'll give up. Funny though...if this was for my daughter, my husband, or my dog...I'd be all over the doctors until I got an answer.
As usual, any help is appreciated.
Aug 2017
TSH 2.600 uIU/mL 0.450 - 4.500 uIU/mL
Triiodothyronine (T3) 124 ng/dL 71 - 180 ng/dL
T4,Free(Direct) 1.20 ng/dL 0.82 - 1.77 ng/dL

May 2017
Triiodothyronine (T3) 118 ng/dL 71 - 180 ng/dL
TSH 1.970 uIU/mL 0.450 - 4.500 uIU/mL
Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 33 IU/mL 0 - 34 IU/mL
THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODY 29.7 IU/mL 0.0 - 0.9 IU/mL
T4,Free(Direct) 1.16 ng/dL 0.82 - 1.77 ng/dL

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 08:21 AM

#2 Lovlkn

Lovlkn

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 6601 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

Aug 2017
TSH 2.600 uIU/mL 0.450 - 4.500 uIU/mL
Triiodothyronine (T3) 124 ng/dL 71 - 180 ng/dL
T4,Free(Direct) 1.20 ng/dL 0.82 - 1.77 ng/dL

May 2017
Triiodothyronine (T3) 118 ng/dL 71 - 180 ng/dL
TSH 1.970 uIU/mL 0.450 - 4.500 uIU/mL
Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 33 IU/mL 0 - 34 IU/mL
THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODY 29.7 IU/mL 0.0 - 0.9 IU/mL
T4,Free(Direct) 1.16 ng/dL 0.82 - 1.77 ng/dL

FT-4 should be close to 1.53 based on your ranges - this is 3/4 of range.

T3 is also low end - a FT-3 is the more accurate test and should also fall closer to 3/4 of range.

TPO shows autoimmune

Thyroglobulin is a thyroid cancer marker - have you ever had an ultrasound?

Don't give up until you find a doctor willing to run the proper lab's and be sure to insist they run an ultrasound where they will examine the thyroid gland for suspicious nodules.

Free T-4 and Free T-3 are absolutely necessary to properly dose yourself.
My experience is that 1/2 - 3/4 of range is your goal for optimal treatment

My Journey... 7 years to receive a diagnosis. TT 2004 after 4.5 years on Tapazole that had to be adjusted monthly - endo ran labs every 4 weeks. Remission was never going to happen for me so I opted for surgery to remove. Final DX by surgeon was Hashitoxicosis, TPO antibodies over 2000 and TSI 316% within the year prior to surgery. I never had a ultrasound or any lab testing to rule out cancer - pathology was negative. Post surgery I was kept hypo for many years - until I figured out how to dose my self, relying on where I fell in the FT-4 and FT-3 labs. I run TSH below range due to positive TBII antibodies. Horrible time adjusting to addition of Cytomel = patience pays off when adding this drug to the mix.

The happy ending ---> Stable dose since 1/10 Unithroid 125mcg, Cytomel 12.5mcg - labs I can live with.

None of the information on ThyroidBoards.com is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information shared is based on my personal experiences and should not be considered medical advice. Please consult a physician before adjusting any medication.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

19 March 2021 Need a great Endo or Functional M in DC area - My sister needs some help in metro DC/Northern...
10 March 2021 Anyone alternate daily levothyroxine dose? - Wondering if anyone takes (or has experience...
22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...