has my 12 year old daughter an issue with her thyroid ? - Thyroid Disease General Discussion Forum - Thyroid Boards

Photo
- - - - -

has my 12 year old daughter an issue with her thyroid ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cascais

cascais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Locationireland

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:41 PM

Hi  everyone, 

for those who wouldn't have read any of my posts before, i had my thyroid removed last year in july because of a very big nodule.  It came back benign thank god. my mother had her thyroid removed 15 years ago, because of nodules also, it also came back benign. None of our bloods ever came back out of range before we had the thyroid removed, they were apparently ok, the nodules only appeared on ultrasound.

the reason of this post is my 12 year old daughter .

for a number of months  (probably bad close to a year now) , she has the most unusual behaviour, extreme anxiety, accompanied with panick attacks, she complains her heart is racing and sometimes she feels she can t breathe. sometimes she has said that she feels she is "not there"  and dizzy as if "drunk"  ( even though she does not know what being drunk feels like). she also has excessive sweating. and she hasn t menstruated yet.

the gp has drawn bloods last october and apparently the  thyroid bloods are fine, although i didn t see them , can t provide numbers . i am not sure what to think as my bloods were always fine and i still ended up with a nodule and my thyroid removed...

she has none the less sent a referral to endocrinology after i insisted, due to my past history.  she is to have an appointment in july.

she has also sent a refferal to physcology service, but she has been placed on a waiting list and it could be months, maybe even years before she gets seen, as the public health system in this country is unfortunately very overwhelmed with demand, and very little resources are allocated to it. 

more of a recent symptoms is lower belly pain  nearly every morning, which i attribute to her "monthly friend" arriving soon, the doctor has asked for a abdomen ultrasound, although i remain unconvinced....

It is very difficult for her to manage her symptoms at the moment, i even asked the gp for a mild sedative , as she is litterally going nuts. she has been saying things that no child should even know about at 12, she mentions her life is not worth it that way, she does not know how she can survive this and so on... it is so hard ..

the gp of course refused to medicate her at all.. and  we the parents, are left not to know what to do with her ...

has anyone has similar symptoms with their children ?

it seems quite extreme, i even thought it was pms, but apparently according do dr internet , its not possible before you menstruate...

anyone know if thyroid can affect mood in this way ?, it all sounds, so "hormonal "... 

hoping someone might share some thoughts

cascais

2011 ovarian torsion- ovary removal (left) 

dnc 2016 (gynea)

complete thyrodectomy  in july 2017 ( heart palpitations, also 2 nodules on thyroid found), thyroid found to be quite enlarged .

january 2018, ovarian dermoid cyst found

may 2018- colonsocopy - 1 small polyp removed

november 2018 ovarian torsion 2- ovary removal (right)

january 2019 -endoscopy- gastritis and hiatus hernia found

march 2019 scheduled for gynea surgery (pelvic floor)

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 07:49 AM

#2 cascais

cascais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Locationireland

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:12 PM

anyone any thoughts at all ?

this post is probably in the wrong section . 

i was reading today the letter for radiology for the reason for the ultrasound and it asks them to search for a possible adrenal condition.

i then went on the internet to research further and it sounds like she might be on the money about this adrenal problem (which in turn could lead to some of those symptoms that people sometime confuse for a thyroid problem). One seems to affect the other , the adrenals affect the thyroid apparently.

best of all, several websites site anxiety and  recurrent panic attacks as a possible symptom for an adrenal issue, as well as the abdominal pain.

unfortunately none of those website mention ultrasound as a diagnosis method for this, they mention bloods, saliva tests, ct, mri,  but no ultrasound... that's a little  bit worrying. sounds like a good idea , but a bad method to check..

fingers crossed  that the problem is found.. 

anyone with anxiety/panic attacks as a result of an adrenal problem ?

thanks

cascais

dnc 2016 (gynea)

complete thyrodectomy  in july 2017 ( heart palpitations, also 2 nodules on thyroid found), thyroid found to be quite enlarged .

#3 jenny v

jenny v

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2964 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:40 PM

I would demand a copy of her blood results. Without knowing what those are and what they tested, it's very hard to give any advice, unfortunately.

Thyroid problems since 2002
Diagnosed with Graves Disease 2002 and Hashimoto's Disease April 2012
TT on October 10, 2013
Currently on 90mg Westhroid and 50mcg Cytomel

Information exchanged on these boards should not be construed as medical advice. We ARE NOT doctors. Please seek a qualified physician to answer your questions before acting on any information found here.

#4 cascais

cascais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Locationireland

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

yes i agree Jenny V, 

i happen to have an appointment myself later on, i ll ask the GP for a copy for my daughter's bloods ,  the endocrinologist she is seeing next month might want a copy of them anyway

dnc 2016 (gynea)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

19 March 2021 Need a great Endo or Functional M in DC area - My sister needs some help in metro DC/Northern...
10 March 2021 Anyone alternate daily levothyroxine dose? - Wondering if anyone takes (or has experience...
22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...