New Graves' Disease Victim here! - Page 4 - Newbie Introductions - Don't be bashful! - Thyroid Boards

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

New Graves' Disease Victim here!

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 RobW

RobW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

Hi all, just checking in -- it's been a while!

My latest test results:

TSH: 2.844 (Range: 0.358 - 3.740 uIU/mL)
T4 (FREE THYROXINE): 1.22 (Range: 0.76 - 1.46 ng/dL)
ALT: 42 (Range: 7 - 65 U/L)

I've been feeling great. Nothing like I used to when I was first diagnosed! In fact, I've been doing the Focus T25 workout exercise and I'm on my last week of it! I've lost about 15lbs from 177lbs (I gained some weight once they knocked my thyroid out) and eating much better... my diet has also changed dramatically... I'm eating way better and getting nutritional value from my foods.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have a new Endocrinologist since I moved to NH from AR next week, I'll post an update then.

Hang in there,
Rob

Diagnosed with Graves' Disease in 2008. Went through the "Block & Replace" therapy (methimazole and levothyroxine) for 6 years. I was taken off all medications August 2014. Currently in remission.  ^_^

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 04:21 AM

#62 RobW

RobW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

Hi guys,

Just a quick update. I've been bumped down to 5mg methimazole and 50mcg levothyroxin. A test shall reveal results in about 6 weeks!

Diagnosed with Graves' Disease in 2008. Went through the "Block & Replace" therapy (methimazole and levothyroxine) for 6 years. I was taken off all medications August 2014. Currently in remission.  ^_^

#63 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

It makes us all very happy to know how great you are doing!!  Block and replace is working for you.  You must have a terrific doctor!  Did you have RAI?

The above is opinion only, not medical advice. No doctor degrees here. Please seek the advice of a qualified physician........ Andros :D

Graves' Disease, Lupus (Systemic & Discoid), Sjogren's and old age. ;) Armour........3 1/2 grains per day.

Welcome all members! Thank you everyone for participating on this board, for helping other posters and for sharing your experiences and wisdom!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#64 RobW

RobW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:52 AM

Hi Andros, no RAI! Just block and replace is all!

I had a test done 6 weeks ago and they took me off of levothyroxin and methimazole altogether! 

A couple of days ago I had another test done (after being off all thyroid drugs for 6 weeks). Results below:

Component (range): value

TSH (0.358 - 3.740 uIU/mL): 1.182

FREE T3 (2.18 - 3.98 pg/mL): 2.7

FREE THYROXINE (0.76 - 1.46 ng/dL): 1.10

ALT (7 - 65 uL): 55

I'm feeling very well... in fact, I recently finished the Tough Mudder and before that, finished a 5k obstacle course.

Thanks for all of the support on here... I sure hope my thyroid has gone into remission -- permanently!

Rob

#65 RobW

RobW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:52 AM

Just a quick update: recently had a blood test done. Everything is in the normal range. I sure hope this lasts. It's still an unreal feeling being off of pills.

#66 RobW

RobW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:40 AM

Hi all, just checking in. I'm doing really well. I hope those that are going through similar problems know that the light is at the end of the tunnel with treatment. It's not easy, but very possible!

#67 CaseyR

CaseyR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

I noticed you said your endo doc was in NW Arkansas. I live in Fayetteville. Who was your doc and would you recommend him or her to others?

#68 Lovlkn

Lovlkn

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 6584 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

I noticed you said your endo doc was in NW Arkansas. I live in Fayetteville. Who was your doc and would you recommend him or her to others?

Try asking in a private message as he may not see this q if he does not regularly check the board.

Rob - if you do see this request please private message your response.

Thank you!

Free T-4 and Free T-3 are absolutely necessary to properly dose yourself.
My experience is that 1/2 - 3/4 of range is your goal for optimal treatment

My Journey... 7 years to receive a diagnosis. TT 2004 after 4.5 years on Tapazole that had to be adjusted monthly - endo ran labs every 4 weeks. Remission was never going to happen for me so I opted for surgery to remove. Final DX by surgeon was Hashitoxicosis, TPO antibodies over 2000 and TSI 316% within the year prior to surgery. I never had a ultrasound or any lab testing to rule out cancer - pathology was negative. Post surgery I was kept hypo for many years - until I figured out how to dose my self, relying on where I fell in the FT-4 and FT-3 labs. I run TSH below range due to positive TBII antibodies. Horrible time adjusting to addition of Cytomel = patience pays off when adding this drug to the mix.

The happy ending ---> Stable dose since 1/10 Unithroid 125mcg, Cytomel 12.5mcg - labs I can live with.

None of the information on ThyroidBoards.com is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information shared is based on my personal experiences and should not be considered medical advice. Please consult a physician before adjusting any medication.

#69 blackngold

blackngold

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

So are you still doing block & replace? Or are you now in remission Wow it's been a while since I talked to you Last!!!
<p>TT Feb 02 2016

#70 RobW

RobW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:35 PM

It's been a great run so far while being in remission. Since my last update on OP, I've gotten married, purchased a new home, and most recently had our first child (7 weeks old now)!

I just wanted to leave an update on my journey... I have recently had bloodwork completed as part of my annual physical and my TSH was slightly elevated (4.7 mIU/L, range 0.40-4.50 mIU/L). I'll be visiting the doctor Monday to review results and see where we go from there!

Talk soon
  • GOLGO13 likes this

#71 Lovlkn

Lovlkn

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 6584 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:11 PM

It's been a great run so far while being in remission. Since my last update on OP, I've gotten married, purchased a new home, and most recently had our first child (7 weeks old now)!

I just wanted to leave an update on my journey... I have recently had bloodwork completed as part of my annual physical and my TSH was slightly elevated (4.7 mIU/L, range 0.40-4.50 mIU/L). I'll be visiting the doctor Monday to review results and see where we go from there!

Talk soon

WOW - TSH top of range isn't slightly elevated.  TSH reflects you being extremely hypo.  Be sure to test both FT-4 and FT-3.

Congratulations of your marriage, home and new baby!

Free T-4 and Free T-3 are absolutely necessary to properly dose yourself.
My experience is that 1/2 - 3/4 of range is your goal for optimal treatment

My Journey... 7 years to receive a diagnosis. TT 2004 after 4.5 years on Tapazole that had to be adjusted monthly - endo ran labs every 4 weeks. Remission was never going to happen for me so I opted for surgery to remove. Final DX by surgeon was Hashitoxicosis, TPO antibodies over 2000 and TSI 316% within the year prior to surgery. I never had a ultrasound or any lab testing to rule out cancer - pathology was negative. Post surgery I was kept hypo for many years - until I figured out how to dose my self, relying on where I fell in the FT-4 and FT-3 labs. I run TSH below range due to positive TBII antibodies. Horrible time adjusting to addition of Cytomel = patience pays off when adding this drug to the mix.

The happy ending ---> Stable dose since 1/10 Unithroid 125mcg, Cytomel 12.5mcg - labs I can live with.

None of the information on ThyroidBoards.com is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information shared is based on my personal experiences and should not be considered medical advice. Please consult a physician before adjusting any medication.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

28 June 2020 Feeling So Warm! - Is feeling overly warm a sign of too much thyro...
26 May 2020 Endo threatening not to refill my medicine unle... - I have been dealing with something really fr...
16 March 2020 Looking for parathyroid adenoma, found thyroid... - I haven't been here in a while. I had a lot of...
28 February 2020 I'm not worried about a low TSH, but how to... -  I made an adjustment to my levothyroxi...