6 replies to this topic

#1 BarbusBarbus

BarbusBarbus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

Hi all

Recently been diagnosed with Hypothyroid, having soo many different symptoms but the main and hardest symptoms for me is Breathlessness and irratic heart rate.

TSH was @ 22 when initial blood test done, unsure of T3 T4 RT4 etc as in the UK the GP will not test for these

ECG shows slight abnormalty on downstroke but told this could be down to the Hypo, i had my meds increased from 50mcgm to 100, but after a spell of lightheadedness if been advised to drop back to 50. i cant get bloods tested for another month

Are these symptoms assosited with Hypothyroid, does anyone have them ? getting anxious as im worried its not hypo and perhaps being left.

Regards

Matt

#2 creepingdeath

creepingdeath

Super Gold Veteran

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

The symptoms you describe are not at all uncommon with hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.

It takes time for your body to get used to the hormone.

#3 BarbusBarbus

BarbusBarbus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for this, its nice to be reassured -  do you think its safe to assume that im not about to have a heart attack and its just a symptom that will pass once the meds are sufficiant

#4 creepingdeath

creepingdeath

Super Gold Veteran

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Well if you are concerned I'd visit the doctor or hospital.

You might have autoimmune activity causing hypo and hyper symptoms also.

You should have tests done to verify whether you have antibodies involved with your thyroid disease or not.

• Lovlkn likes this

#5 BarbusBarbus

BarbusBarbus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

Thanks, yep i feel like ive been living at the GP's lately and they are checking everything but i think as ive only recently been diagnosed they are reluctant to check further untill the next blood work comes back. just sometimes feel i cant breath or fill my lungs properly.

#6 lizziew16

lizziew16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

Hello Everyone,  

I am new here. Looking for some guidance.  I am 40 years old, female. In 2015 my gyn ran some thyroid function tests at my request (all within "normal" ranges) Had a thyroid US done Dec 2015 that showed 2 small solid hypoechoic nodules,  5x6mm and 5x5mm. She sent me to Endocrine to look further. He recommended a FNA. Results showed "modest colloid and modest cellularity with a few scattered groups/sheets of benign appearing follicular cells present against a background of blood, proteinaceous material and scattered mixed leukocytes. Not diagnostic for malignancy"

Dr. said we will just keep an eye on it. I just had a repeat US done today and the 5x6mm nodule is stable but the 5x5mm has increased to 7mm. 

I am following up with endocrine next week after my lab work. I am concerned that he is going to want to do a open bx this time since it grew and the FNA wasn't very informative? Is 2mm growth in a year and a half significant for a thyroid nodule? I am really scared to start messing around with my thyroid as I have heard nightmares from friends who had aggressive tx of issues and now struggle to keep theirs in check. 

Thanks!!

#7 Lovlkn

Lovlkn

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:03 PM

Hello Everyone,  

I am new here. Looking for some guidance.  I am 40 years old, female. In 2015 my gyn ran some thyroid function tests at my request (all within "normal" ranges) Had a thyroid US done Dec 2015 that showed 2 small solid hypoechoic nodules,  5x6mm and 5x5mm. She sent me to Endocrine to look further. He recommended a FNA. Results showed "modest colloid and modest cellularity with a few scattered groups/sheets of benign appearing follicular cells present against a background of blood, proteinaceous material and scattered mixed leukocytes. Not diagnostic for malignancy"

Dr. said we will just keep an eye on it. I just had a repeat US done today and the 5x6mm nodule is stable but the 5x5mm has increased to 7mm. 

I am following up with endocrine next week after my lab work. I am concerned that he is going to want to do a open bx this time since it grew and the FNA wasn't very informative? Is 2mm growth in a year and a half significant for a thyroid nodule? I am really scared to start messing around with my thyroid as I have heard nightmares from friends who had aggressive tx of issues and now struggle to keep theirs in check. 

Thanks!!

Welcome to the board!

(all within "normal" ranges) 

Normal ranges and "good ranges" are different.  Goal is to fall closer to 3/4 range.

Nodules often impact thyroid function.  Are you having any symptoms of underactive or over active thyroid?

2mm is a small change in my opinion.   When you get into the 2+ cm range there is need for concern.

You should ask for copies of all lab's and scans for your records and if you want more board participation post that info with ranges.

• joplin1975 likes this
Free T-4 and Free T-3 are absolutely necessary to properly dose yourself.
My experience is that 1/2 - 3/4 of range is your goal for optimal treatment

My Journey... 7 years to receive a diagnosis. TT 2004 after 4.5 years on Tapazole that had to be adjusted monthly - endo ran labs every 4 weeks. Remission was never going to happen for me so I opted for surgery to remove. Final DX by surgeon was Hashitoxicosis, TPO antibodies over 2000 and TSI 316% within the year prior to surgery. I never had a ultrasound or any lab testing to rule out cancer - pathology was negative. Post surgery I was kept hypo for many years - until I figured out how to dose my self, relying on where I fell in the FT-4 and FT-3 labs. I run TSH below range due to positive TBII antibodies. Horrible time adjusting to addition of Cytomel = patience pays off when adding this drug to the mix.

The happy ending ---> Stable dose since 1/10 Unithroid 125mcg, Cytomel 12.5mcg - labs I can live with.

None of the information on ThyroidBoards.com is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information shared is based on my personal experiences and should not be considered medical advice. Please consult a physician before adjusting any medication.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

22 June 2017 it makes you wonder - It makes you wonder if doctors really do know w...
22 June 2017 Did my Hashimoto start after this hardship/trauma? - I know this sounds absurd, How do I know whe...
21 June 2017 Hi All - Hi everyone,   Been on ND...
20 June 2017 Lab results - Let me start by saying that I feel fantastic...
20 June 2017 LIVID at horrible Dr - After being off NDT then switching to Levoth...