low impact recommendations? - Exercise for a Healthy and Active Lifestyle - Thyroid Boards

Photo
- - - - -

low impact recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kumo

Kumo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationgeorgia, usa

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:46 AM

Hi everyone, I need some advice,

I'd love to try to get more active, but I have snapping hip syndrome. This basically means that I CAN NOT do heavy-impact hitting work outs (running, jumping, etc), because it's a huge irritation to my hips. I can, however, do things like walk and swim. I'm wondering if there's other things as well I can do? I want to maintain my flexibility (I'm hypermobile) and possible have some tone-ness to my form, but I'm terrified of potentially losing weight during this process, because already if I'm not careful, I drop weight like crazy :/

I'll probably ask my awesome boyfriend to try to help me out here, despite how it's basically impossible for him and I to work out together in a gym because I see myself ALWAYS getting distracted by him and his looks xD; ^^;

I am a public health graduate student (undergrad in art and biology). I have a variety of physical as well as mental health conditions (including but not limited to: PTSD, eating disorder, anxiety, and many joint issues). I am 23 years old and an ISTJ. I am very passionate about peer-reviewed results in science in regards to biology and the human body. Please respect this.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 10:14 AM

#2 Octavia

Octavia

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4918 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

How about yoga?

• Lovlkn likes this
- Pug lover, saxophone player
- 3.2 cm nodule, inconclusive FNA January 2011
- Partial thyroidectomy February 2011; Papillary cancer; completion thyroidectomy March 2011
- RAI May 2011
- 1-year scan in April 2012 was clear

Information exchanged on these boards should not be construed as medical advice. We ARE NOT doctors. Please seek a qualified physician to answer your questions before acting on any information found here.

#3 puritanize

puritanize

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:58 AM

I got a shaker table from the bullet Proof website. I love that thing...

#4 webster2

webster2

Super Gold Veteran

• Members
  • 2766 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:25 AM

Leslie Sansone DVDs

Thyroid Storm June 2011

Graves Disease DX June 13, 2011
Completion Thyroidectomy July 28, 2011
(right side removed 11/14/1990)
Papillary Cancer
2.25 grains Nature-throid (11/2011-8/2013)
still looking for the correct dose 12/3 (125 mcg 5 x week 112 2x week) 5 mcg cytomel  2 x day
Life is very good! :)

#5 Lovlkn

Lovlkn

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 6601 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:38 AM

Quadriceps stretch. Standing arm's length from a wall, place the hand opposite the painful hip against the wall for support. With your other hand, take hold of the ankle of the painful leg and, keeping your knees together, pull your ankle up toward your buttocks. Hold for 30 to 60 seconds and release. Repeat three times.

Hamstring stretch. Lie flat on your back on the floor in a doorway so that your upper body is on one side of the doorway and your lower body is on the other and the painful hip is against the door frame. Raise the painful leg and rest it against the wall next to the door frame. Hold for 30 to 60 seconds and then lower. Repeat three times.

Piriformis stretch. Lying on your back with both knees bent, place the foot of your uninjured leg flat on the floor and rest the ankle of your painful leg over the knee of your uninjured leg. Take hold of the thigh of the uninjured leg and pull the knee toward your chest. Hold for 30 to 60 seconds and release. Repeat three times.

Iliotibial band stretch. Standing with your legs together, cross your uninjured leg in front of the painful leg, then bend down and touch your toes. Hold for 30 seconds, then return to starting position. Repeat three times.

http://www.webmd.com...toms-treatments

Stretching is your best bet - Yoga is a great option as there are many different levels of classes.  Stretch classes are my favorite and strengthening classes.

I am hyper mobile and had a popping hip as well as groin pain and yoga keeps it all under control. My chiropractor helps too.

PLUS - you not only tone - you build muscle.

For cardio - I took up trail riding.

Free T-4 and Free T-3 are absolutely necessary to properly dose yourself.
My experience is that 1/2 - 3/4 of range is your goal for optimal treatment

My Journey... 7 years to receive a diagnosis. TT 2004 after 4.5 years on Tapazole that had to be adjusted monthly - endo ran labs every 4 weeks. Remission was never going to happen for me so I opted for surgery to remove. Final DX by surgeon was Hashitoxicosis, TPO antibodies over 2000 and TSI 316% within the year prior to surgery. I never had a ultrasound or any lab testing to rule out cancer - pathology was negative. Post surgery I was kept hypo for many years - until I figured out how to dose my self, relying on where I fell in the FT-4 and FT-3 labs. I run TSH below range due to positive TBII antibodies. Horrible time adjusting to addition of Cytomel = patience pays off when adding this drug to the mix.

The happy ending ---> Stable dose since 1/10 Unithroid 125mcg, Cytomel 12.5mcg - labs I can live with.

None of the information on ThyroidBoards.com is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information shared is based on my personal experiences and should not be considered medical advice. Please consult a physician before adjusting any medication.

#6 jenny v

jenny v

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2964 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:41 AM

I swim four times a week and do light yoga. My knees can't take anything more than that.

• Kumo likes this
Thyroid problems since 2002
Diagnosed with Graves Disease 2002 and Hashimoto's Disease April 2012
TT on October 10, 2013
Currently on 90mg Westhroid and 50mcg Cytomel

Information exchanged on these boards should not be construed as medical advice. We ARE NOT doctors. Please seek a qualified physician to answer your questions before acting on any information found here.

#7 Dr Greer

Dr Greer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:16 PM

There are an amazing number of videos on line for free with exercises at numerous levels of intensity. If you have a laptop or iPad you can set it in a chair in your living room and do your work-outs with the virtual class.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

19 March 2021 Need a great Endo or Functional M in DC area - My sister needs some help in metro DC/Northern...
10 March 2021 Anyone alternate daily levothyroxine dose? - Wondering if anyone takes (or has experience...
22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...