• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

Just curious; how many of you cook all meals at home from fresh basic food items?  Is this a lost art? 

We never eat out, never purchase pre-packaged food stuffs nor do we use canned goods.  We even feed our dog home-cooked meals.

The above is opinion only, not medical advice. No doctor degrees here. Please seek the advice of a qualified physician........ Andros :D

Graves' Disease, Lupus (Systemic & Discoid), Sjogren's and old age. ;) Armour........3 1/2 grains per day.

Welcome all members! Thank you everyone for participating on this board, for helping other posters and for sharing your experiences and wisdom!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 11:57 AM

#2 Octavia

Octavia

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4918 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

Guilty as charged, Andros. Cooking from scratch is a lost art in my household. I wish I could tell a different story...but apparently I don't wish it badly enough to actually do it. :(

- Pug lover, saxophone player
- 3.2 cm nodule, inconclusive FNA January 2011
- Partial thyroidectomy February 2011; Papillary cancer; completion thyroidectomy March 2011
- RAI May 2011
- 1-year scan in April 2012 was clear

Information exchanged on these boards should not be construed as medical advice. We ARE NOT doctors. Please seek a qualified physician to answer your questions before acting on any information found here.

#3 joplin1975

joplin1975

Super Gold Veteran

• Administrators
  • 7065 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:46 PM

I do a lot of cooking from scratch - usually I cook for the week on Sundays - but I'm not 100% perfect. If I didn't work full time, I'd probably be better, but...you do what you can. :)

My animals? Yeah, well, they are on 100% store bought food. I don't have THAT kind of time!
  • Andros likes this
Papillary cancer with lymph node involvement
Total Thyroidectomy 8/29/11
TSH 71.17 on 9/14/11
RAI 100mci 9/23/11
Starting point for replacement meds: 50 mcgs of Synthroid, TSH 121.88 on 11/8/11; 100 mcgs of Synthroid, TSH 43.21 on 12/9/11; 137 mcgs of Synthroid, TSH 7.88 on 1/11/12; TSH 8.38 on 2/9/12, 150 mcgs of Synthroid, TSH 2.81 on 3/27/12, TSH 0.54 on 5/8/12, TSH 0.78 on 8/8/12, TSH 0.39 on 12/20/12, TSH 0.24 on 3/5/13, TSH 0.33 on 4/15/14, TSH .12 on 3/10/15, TSH 0.21 on 9/15/2016, TSH .12 on 2/17/17.

#4 Lovlkn

Lovlkn

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 6601 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:56 PM

I cook most evenings - protein and veggie and salad - fresh mostly.

This is "new" since my kids moved away to college.  And the most recent 'sugar awareness" I have awoken to.

OMGosh - I lost 8 pounds in a matter of 3 months - solid weight loss and tummy reduction from reading labels and deciding how many teaspoons of sugar I was willing to consume for whatever food I was eating.  Sugar is everywhere - I figure I cut my intake over 50%

Feel SO much better and cannot tolerate fast food any longer.

• Andros likes this
Free T-4 and Free T-3 are absolutely necessary to properly dose yourself.
My experience is that 1/2 - 3/4 of range is your goal for optimal treatment

My Journey... 7 years to receive a diagnosis. TT 2004 after 4.5 years on Tapazole that had to be adjusted monthly - endo ran labs every 4 weeks. Remission was never going to happen for me so I opted for surgery to remove. Final DX by surgeon was Hashitoxicosis, TPO antibodies over 2000 and TSI 316% within the year prior to surgery. I never had a ultrasound or any lab testing to rule out cancer - pathology was negative. Post surgery I was kept hypo for many years - until I figured out how to dose my self, relying on where I fell in the FT-4 and FT-3 labs. I run TSH below range due to positive TBII antibodies. Horrible time adjusting to addition of Cytomel = patience pays off when adding this drug to the mix.

The happy ending ---> Stable dose since 1/10 Unithroid 125mcg, Cytomel 12.5mcg - labs I can live with.

None of the information on ThyroidBoards.com is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information shared is based on my personal experiences and should not be considered medical advice. Please consult a physician before adjusting any medication.

#5 puritanize

puritanize

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:03 AM

I only cook 100% of all our meals from scratch

I have even learned to bake with plantain flour to broaden my carb choices since I am so limited.

I would not have it any other way. I truly want to heal and get better, fight for it. So cooking is fun, a great way to control my diet, get healthy and saves us a ton of money :)

• Andros likes this

#6 Pamzilla13

Pamzilla13

• Validating
  • 161 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:17 PM

100% from scratch...

• Andros likes this

#7 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

It is possible that it would make a huge improvement in your health; no joke!  And a lot less expensive also for the most part.

Hugs,

PS:  I love an honest person!  ROLF!!

• MySharon likes this

The above is opinion only, not medical advice. No doctor degrees here. Please seek the advice of a qualified physician........ Andros :D

Graves' Disease, Lupus (Systemic & Discoid), Sjogren's and old age. ;) Armour........3 1/2 grains per day.

Welcome all members! Thank you everyone for participating on this board, for helping other posters and for sharing your experiences and wisdom!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#8 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

Good for you, oh wise one!!!  Yay!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#9 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:04 PM

Incidentally, we don't cook every day.  We make a huge pot of soup and other things that can be re-heated in a jiffy.  You don't have to be a slave to the kitchen.

Hugs everyone!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#10 webster2

webster2

Super Gold Veteran

• Members
  • 2766 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:39 AM

Our supper last night was entirely grown at home.  Roasted herb chicken breast, acorn squash, green beans and beets very yummy.  The herbs were grown here too. 

• Andros likes this

Thyroid Storm June 2011

Graves Disease DX June 13, 2011
Completion Thyroidectomy July 28, 2011
(right side removed 11/14/1990)
Papillary Cancer
2.25 grains Nature-throid (11/2011-8/2013)
still looking for the correct dose 12/3 (125 mcg 5 x week 112 2x week) 5 mcg cytomel  2 x day
Life is very good! :)

#11 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

You and hubby are very very self-sufficient and I admire that greatly!

Hugs,

• webster2 likes this

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#12 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:02 PM

This is truly awesome!! It really is!  You should be very proud to have taken this step on behalf of yourself and your family!!!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#13 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:04 PM

It doesn't matter that there are limited choices.  It only matters that we feel good.  Eat to live; not live to eat!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#14 Lovlkn

Lovlkn

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 6601 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:52 PM

My animals? Yeah, well, they are on 100% store bought food. I don't have THAT kind of time!

Absolutely - My dog eats poop - if I don't catch him in time.  Dog food is much more sanitary than dog poop.

I cheat and eat stuff I should not eat all the time - it comes down to choice, self control and acceptance of the consequences from eating that Almond Joy bar yesterday.  YUM - totally worth it!

Free T-4 and Free T-3 are absolutely necessary to properly dose yourself.
My experience is that 1/2 - 3/4 of range is your goal for optimal treatment

My Journey... 7 years to receive a diagnosis. TT 2004 after 4.5 years on Tapazole that had to be adjusted monthly - endo ran labs every 4 weeks. Remission was never going to happen for me so I opted for surgery to remove. Final DX by surgeon was Hashitoxicosis, TPO antibodies over 2000 and TSI 316% within the year prior to surgery. I never had a ultrasound or any lab testing to rule out cancer - pathology was negative. Post surgery I was kept hypo for many years - until I figured out how to dose my self, relying on where I fell in the FT-4 and FT-3 labs. I run TSH below range due to positive TBII antibodies. Horrible time adjusting to addition of Cytomel = patience pays off when adding this drug to the mix.

The happy ending ---> Stable dose since 1/10 Unithroid 125mcg, Cytomel 12.5mcg - labs I can live with.

None of the information on ThyroidBoards.com is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information shared is based on my personal experiences and should not be considered medical advice. Please consult a physician before adjusting any medication.

#15 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

ROLF!  Yeah.......................................I can just see it!

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#16 Octavia

Octavia

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4918 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:34 AM

I went out for lunch with my husband this afternoon. Had the fried chicken special with mashed potatoes and gravy, and green bean casserole. Enjoyed every bite, and I don't feel the least bit guilty about it. :)

But in all seriousness, we really do eat healthy  most of the time...just not all the time. All of our meat and eggs come from my husband's parents farm, which is a very nice little perk. And we get a weekly veggie and fruit delivery from a farmers market. We supplement those things with the occasional pre-packaged noodles, soups, cereals, etc. So we're not the most healthy eaters in the world, but I know for certain we're nowhere near the worst!  

• Andros and jenny v like this
- Partial thyroidectomy February 2011; Papillary cancer; completion thyroidectomy March 2011
- RAI May 2011

Information exchanged on these boards should not be construed as medical advice. We ARE NOT doctors. Please seek a qualified physician to answer your questions before acting on any information found here.

#17 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

Sounds to me like you and hubby are doing a very good job.  And................................."some" restaurants still do old-fashiohome-cookin'; your meals sound like it when you ate out recently.

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#18 Andros

Andros

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19367 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

We make French fries out of fresh pumpkin, place on a tray, coat w/olive oil and bake until starting to turn crispy.   A little sea salt and black pepper you have yourself some might good eatin'!

Have any of you ever tried this?  We do the same w/butternut squash!  Squashes are sooooooooooooooooo good for you; just packed with nutrition.

"We Rock" 004-1-1.jpg

#19 jade

jade

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:48 AM

I've been trying some slow cooker recipes lately. I found a really good indian curry and a simple but delicious veggie lasagna. I can post links to the recipes if anyone's interested.
TT 8/2015 for Graves/Multi-Nodular Goiter
Currently on 100mcg Levothyroxine 8.5pills per week & 5mcg Cytomel 1x daily

#20 Octavia

Octavia

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4918 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:16 PM

I would love to see the lasagne recipe!

- RAI May 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

19 March 2021 Need a great Endo or Functional M in DC area - My sister needs some help in metro DC/Northern...
10 March 2021 Anyone alternate daily levothyroxine dose? - Wondering if anyone takes (or has experience...
22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...