grapefruit levothyroxine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jade

jade

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

I had a TT in August so I take levothyroxine daily. I've always been obsessed with grapefruits and fresh grapefruit juice, but I'm wondering if they're okay to have since I'm taking this thyroid med. I found some mixed answers about this online, so I'm just wondering if anyone here knows one way or the other.
TT 8/2015 for Graves/Multi-Nodular Goiter
Currently on 100mcg Levothyroxine 8.5pills per week & 5mcg Cytomel 1x daily

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 10:27 AM

#2 Octavia

Octavia

Super Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4918 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:50 AM

I've eaten grapefruit plenty of times 30 to 60 minutes after taking my Levo pill, and I've lived to tell about it.

My husband used to take a drug that had bad interactions with grapefruit, and it was made quite clear to him by the doctors and pharmacists. Although he loves grapefruit, he went about 15 years without any, until they switched him to a new drug that did not forbid it. No one has ever mentioned to me that I can't eat grapefruit with the drugs I'm on.

Slightly off-topic, but a little bit funny: I was at a conference a couple of weeks ago, and breakfasts and lunches were included. At the buffet breakfast, I was very excited because they offered grapefruit juice. I poured myself a glass and sat down. I proudly announced to my table-mates how excited I was to have grapefruit juice because I hadn't had any in many years. As soon as I took a couple of swigs, I remembered why I hadn't had grapefruit juice in many years. :sad0049: Grapefruit juice tastes NOTHING like grapefruits!!!

- Pug lover, saxophone player
- 3.2 cm nodule, inconclusive FNA January 2011
- Partial thyroidectomy February 2011; Papillary cancer; completion thyroidectomy March 2011
- RAI May 2011
- 1-year scan in April 2012 was clear

Information exchanged on these boards should not be construed as medical advice. We ARE NOT doctors. Please seek a qualified physician to answer your questions before acting on any information found here.

#3 jade

jade

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:29 AM

Thanks Octavia. It seems grapefruit interacts with a lot of things. I'm glad I won't have to throw out the bag I just got. I know what you mean about grapefruit juice. Unless it's fresh squeezed, I don't like it either.
TT 8/2015 for Graves/Multi-Nodular Goiter
Currently on 100mcg Levothyroxine 8.5pills per week & 5mcg Cytomel 1x daily

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

19 March 2021 Need a great Endo or Functional M in DC area - My sister needs some help in metro DC/Northern...
10 March 2021 Anyone alternate daily levothyroxine dose? - Wondering if anyone takes (or has experience...
22 February 2021 Feelings near my thyroid - This is kinda hard to explain, but does anyone...
09 February 2021 Anything Other than Synthroid? - Hello All! Has anyone liked a name bran...
29 January 2021 Graves and these labs - Hello! Graves for 5 years. In remission in and...